"Jesus answered and said to them, “Indeed, Elijah is coming first and will restore all things."-- Matt 17:11 -- When Elijah comes, what things will he restore?
Jesus here is saying that Elijah is still coming, and in the next verse stated that John the Baptist came in the spirit of Elijah. He was obviously showing the present and future double fulfillment of the prophecy -- a spiritual fulfillment first off, and the physical fulfillment before His second coming.
John the Baptist called the people back to their fathers, but is that the same thing as the final Elijah restoring all things? John the Baptist did not restore all things -- Elijah's future ministry plays a role in the second coming when the one Elijah proclaims does indeed restore all things.
Now -- what needs restoration in this day and age that Elijah points to and Jesus' return fulfills? Where do we begin?
- Restore the faith once and for all delivered to the saints that has been hijacked and corrupted by apostate imposters.
- Restore the planet earth that is groaning for the corruption and destruction being done upon it by the earth dwellers.
- Restore the 12 Tribes of Israel to their promised land and to their Messiah -- when they look upon Him whom they have pierced.
- Restore a righteous government -- a new world order -- where David is back on the throne and we resurrected saints rule and reign with Jesus 1,000 years.
- Restore the ecology of the planet and even the harmony between the animals.
What a happy day that will be!!
“But those things which God foretold by the mouth of all His prophets, that the Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled. Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before, whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began." - Acts 3:18-21
"But with righteousness He shall judge the poor,
And decide with equity for the meek of the earth;
He shall strike the earth with the rod of His mouth,
And with the breath of His lips He shall slay the wicked.
Righteousness shall be the belt of His loins,
And faithfulness the belt of His waist.
The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb,
The leopard shall lie down with the young goat,
The calf and the young lion and the fatling together;
And a little child shall lead them.
The cow and the bear shall graze;
Their young ones shall lie down together;
And the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
The nursing child shall play by the cobra’s hole,
And the weaned child shall put his hand in the viper’s den.
They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain,
For the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD
As the waters cover the sea."
--Is 11: 4-9