Sunday, November 2, 2014

Open Your Bible

There are so many distractions in our lives, sometimes we can get so caught up in our responsibilities at work or in strained relationships and then it hits us that we haven't opened the Book all week. Skipping our Daily Manna of the Word often manifests in our behavior - how we treat people or how stressed out we get. It can even unsettle our minds while we're asleep and result in troubling dreams. Have you ever sinned in your dream and wake up and say to yourself, "I would never ever do that in real life'? That should be a red flag to get back in the Word.

I cannot count the number of times that I've opened the Bible after a time of neglecting to do so just to find a rebuke in the passage I've just read. The Living Word - His spiritual two-edged sword - breathed upon by His Spirit - is the primary means that our God communicates with us and guides us in this life. We need it as our Daily Bread to get our instructions for the day. 

I sleep with my Bible - it doesn't just go on the nightstand, it gets its own pillow. And even then I might forget to read it or lay my crossword puzzle on it. The practice of staying in the Word is not a legalistic rule - but to the born-again believer it is the response in our hearts to the love of Jesus and our desire to draw close to Him. As the LORD's brother wrote:

"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded." - James 4:8

One thing that does get in the way of our desire to open the Word is sin in our lives. If we are harboring a sinful attitude or have transgressed against our own conscience in something we're involved in, we tend to neglect the Bible and our prayer life suffers. To whom much is given, much is required is a biblical concept that we know in our lives. We might turn our ear from what the LORD is saying to us when we don't want to deal with something that might be painful to handle God's way. But my experience has always shown me that doing things with His counsel always has the best results. And the last thing we want during these troubled times is to quench the Spirit so that He may just stop striving with us.

Draw near to Him today. Let Him make course corrections in your life. Jesus loves you -- and that's not just some cliche.

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." - Matt 11:29

"Turn at my rebuke;
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.
Because I have called and you refused,
I have stretched out my hand and no one regarded,
Because you disdained all my counsel,
And would have none of my rebuke,
I also will laugh at your calamity;
I will mock when your terror comes,
When your terror comes like a storm,
And your destruction comes like a whirlwind,
When distress and anguish come upon you.
Then they will call on me, but I will not answer;
They will seek me diligently, but they will not find me."
Prov 1:23-28



No comments:

Post a Comment