Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Heavy Heart

Sometimes it seems like Jesus is so far away. Looking around at the turmoil in the world and conflicts in life, the longing I have for His glorious return is tangible. I can't escape the sorrow that increases as I see the pain and suffering going on in the world around me. 

The biblical words, "Do not delay, O LORD" often pour from my heart to the Throne Room.

Positive Christians will rebuke such an attitude with platitudes: "There's joy in the Lord"; "Laughter is the best medicine"; "Put on a happy face." 

But it is hard to smile among so much suffering. A day does not go by without reading a prayer request for someone with cancer or some other fatal malady. Even Jesus wept.

Reading the Gospel of John this morning brought it all home for me.

“A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you." - John 16:21-22

Birth pangs bring a lot of pain and sorrow along with them. We are watching the pangs increase daily and we suffer much at being rejected by non-believers and shunned by institutional church-goers. Yet the Bible describes Jesus as "a man of sorrows; acquainted with grief." 

We will ultimately share the victory over this world with our Master Jesus. But in the meantime, we're stuck in this Valley of Tears. The joy I can find in all of this is in knowing Bible prophecy; that we have so much to look forward to when Jesus returns and restores His creation. 

In the meantime, keep smiling!

“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33

“I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name...Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown." - Rev. 3:8,10-11

No comments:

Post a Comment