Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Good Old Days

Modern life is highly over-rated. I know we have all the conveniences such as indoor plumbing and the Internet (in that order), but one thing we lack is a sense of belonging.

This world is not our home, but must it be so alien? When I read the historical books of the Bible, or even read biographies of various believers of ages past, I see people helping people and following God-appointed leaders such as Moses or David. It makes me envious -- even if I wouldn't want to dress the fattened calf when company calls.

Reading Ezra and Nehemiah this week, it was all for one and one for all. They had a job to do and they all rolled up their sleeves and accomplished their God-given mission. 

In the New Testament, getting the Gospel out to the four corners of the Earth to people who had never heard the name of Jesus stirred the saints into action.

Today we have pastors casting their own visions and wanting the parishioners to adopt their empty goals as their own. Church goers live their lives separate from the congregation -- only to come together for an occasional pot-luck.

Today our attempts at continuing the Great Commission of spreading the Gospel usually come up empty. The whole world has heard of Jesus and most of the world connects his name to Rome or televangelism or Harold Camping or the Tea Party -- and the walls go up before we can get a tract in their hands. 

Perhaps the night is just about upon us where no man can work the works of God -- the wicked will be wicked still.

I know what my assignment is. The faith has been established once and for all. My job, and I hope yours as well, is to defend it (Jude 3) and go after those who are doubting (Jude 22) and hold onto my crown. 

I just wish we could carry this out side-by-side instead of one on one.

“He who is unjust, let him be unjust still; he who is filthy, let him be filthy still; he who is righteous, let him be righteous still; he who is holy, let him be holy still. And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.” - Rev 22:11-13

"And he said, 'Go your way, Daniel, for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end. Many shall be purified, made white, and refined, but the wicked shall do wickedly; and none of the wicked shall understand, but the wise shall understand...But you, go your way till the end; for you shall rest, and will arise to your inheritance at the end of the days.” - Dan 9:9-10,13

“Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown." - Rev 3:10-11


No comments:

Post a Comment